Fortification built by Swedish traders for dealing timber and gold. Later, became the structure which was used in the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The first timber construction on the site was erected in 1653 by the Swedish Africa Company and named Carolusborg after King Charles X of Sweden. It was later on rebuilt in stone. In April 1663 the whole Swedish Gold Coast was seized by the Danish and integrated in the Danish Gold Coast.
- Architectural history
- World Heritage site by UNESCO